Our Divorce and Family Law Team: (Front L-R) Bridget McHale, Rosemary Lepiane, Sharon McAuliffe (Back L-R) Ryan Suser, Cameron Bernard, Steven Paquette. Not pictured: Attorney Jonathan Orkin and Paralegal Emily Turner – Ithaca Office.
The Bousquet Holstein PLLC divorce and family law team seeks to distinguish itself by finding solutions that best meet the needs of each client. Whether those needs are best met through Prenuptial Agreements, Postnuptial Agreements, negotiations under traditional divorce concepts, the use of Collaborative Law in seeking a divorce, or traditional trial methods, we tailor our process and seek creative solutions to each person’s individual divorcing needs.
During this emotionally charged time, areas outside the divorce law field often require a simultaneous resolution. Our divorce law team has expertise in many areas that require resolution in solving “simple divorces” and more complex divorce actions. Some issues in more sophisticated cases include:
- Asset valuation
- Tracing of assets
- Valuing closely held businesses
- Executive compensation and benefit plans
- Tax planning
- Complex support arrangements
The firm’s breath of experience and resources in areas including employee benefits, trusts and estate, tax planning and advocacy, business transactions, bankruptcy, and other substantive areas allow us to provide a comprehensive set of options to our divorcing clients.
Many matters requiring resolution in both “simple divorce” and more complex divorces commonly include:
- Parenting time
- A fair division of property
- A fair division of debt
- Planning for college costs
- Keeping or selling the marital residence
- Dividing pensions and retirement plans
- Life insurance and estate planning
- Child care
- Medical expenses
- Special needs children
Retirement assets are the largest asset that must be divided in divorce actions. Many practitioners are overwhelmed by the vast body of law and regulations, as well as individual plan rules regarding the division of retirement plan assets. The QDRO attorneys at Bousquet Holstein PLLC will provide you with a toolbox for negotiating the division of retirement plan assets and to address the division of those assets.
In addition, collaboration and mediation are legal options that have proven to be the most satisfactory for many people seeking fairness for each family member when dissolving a marriage. Our family law team can easily provide counsel in making these decisions and discuss your options. Click here for more information about collaboration and mediation options.
Your divorce law team stands ready to meet your needs in uncontested divorces, typical divorces, and also in the most complex of divorce matters.
- Evaluating and resolving disputes concerning child custody and support, spousal maintenance (alimony), and the equitable distribution / division of all marital assets and debt.
- Often with the assistance of expert consultants / witnesses, identifying and valuing businesses and other complex assets;
- Engaging in complex discovery to identify and distribute marital debts and assets;
- Obtaining excellent results for our client after trial or as part of a negotiated settlement outside of court.
- Resolving divorces entirely through settlements negotiated with a mediator alone, or with the assistance of attorneys , family law “facilitators” and occasionally other expert professionals;
- Avoiding litigation and resolving matters in a non-adversarial environment.
- Often with the assistance of expert consultants, negotiating the rights and obligations of the parties in the event of a divorce, with respect to some or all of the issues which may arrive in a divorce action;
- Agreements may be reached before or after the marriage.
- Litigating, at the trial and appellate level, custody disputes involving parents in different states / countries;
- Special focus on personal jurisdiction / Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act / parental kidnapping disputes.
- Focusing all of our services towards the unique circumstances facing LGBT / Non-traditional families;
- Litigating, at the trial and appellate level, contested custody disputes on behalf of non-biological parents;
- Advising and consulting with LGBT / Non-traditional families in family / estate planning to avoid future conflicts.
- Obtaining relief and sanctions resulting from failure to transfer assets pursuant to divorce / family court decrees;
- Pursuing new actions in the Family Court for violations of child support and child custody orders or agreements.