Joshua S. Werbeck is a Central New York native and a Member of the Firm’s Real Estate and Business Practice Groups. Josh’s lifelong residency in Central New York affords him unique insight and understanding of the region and helps him provide results for clients living and operating in this community. Known for responsive service, individual attention, and “anytime, anywhere” availability, Josh takes keen interest in each client’s case.
In real estate, Josh represents individuals, businesses, and non-profits, including representation of developers, lenders, homeowners associations, and homeowners. His experience includes:
Josh is often involved at the inception of projects and regularly assists clients in navigating zoning, environmental, and other land use regulations, as well as title issues. He has represented developers, business owners, lenders, and homeowners before planning boards and zoning boards of appeal. Josh also works with homeowners associations and developers to draft and enforce restrictive covenants, residents in HOA/restrictive covenant communities to enforce or defend against land use restrictions, and lenders (both institutional and personal) in complex and typical foreclosure matters.
In business matters, Josh works with business owners and corporate leaders in general business, transactional, and employment matters. His experience includes:
In addition, Josh has extensive experience working with businesses and individuals in employment-related matters, including defending against discrimination claims, advising on wage and hour or other labor law questions, and developing workplace policies, such as employee handbooks.
Josh understands the importance of developing a strong relationship with clients and believes a critical component of legal representation is understanding his clients’ unique businesses, goals, and needs. His commitment to the legal profession and client service has earned him recognition by a variety of organizations, including the Central New York Business Journal’s 2016 “Forty Under 40” Award, recognition as a Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star, and inclusion in the Leadership Greater Syracuse Class of 2017. Josh is also a member of the Onondaga Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association.
Josh provides clients with around-the-clock availability to ensure timely resolution of critical matters. When not engaged with clients, Josh serves the community as President of the Board of Directors of Sarah’s Guest House, Inc., a non-profit organization located in Syracuse’s Strathmore Neighborhood. Josh has previously volunteered with the legal clinics for Vera House, Inc. (2011-2012) and Say Yes To Education (2011).
Josh earned his B.A. magna cum laude from Siena College and a J.D. cum laude from Syracuse University College of Law. He joined Bousquet Holstein PLLC as an Associate in 2010 and was elected to Membership in the Firm in 2016.
• Closed multi-million Dollar refinance involving multiple real property parcels and multiple existing mortgages, including preparation of assignments, allonges, termination of assignment of leases, title policy commitment (and curatives), leases, lease estoppels, and non-disturbance agreements. Experience includes preparation and review of loan documents, including complex lending arrangements with real and personal property collateral.
• Closed numerous complex commercial and residential purchases and sales, including experience with seller-financed arrangements, drafting of notes, mortgages, leases, title insurance policies, rights of first refusal, and ancillary documents.
• Represented several businesses before the NY Division of Human Rights (“DHR”) and, in a number of cases, achieved a no probable cause determination to dismiss the claims of discrimination or harassment before a protracted investigation and hearing.
• Represented a pharmacist included on the NY Medicaid Exclusion List and Federal Medicare Exclusion List for over 20 years and successfully achieved removal from both. Despite the long period of inclusion on the Exclusion Lists, Josh negotiated immediate removal from both with zero monetary penalties.
• Represents the Syracuse Sports Association and Syracuse Adult Kickball Association advising its owners on formation, tax, sport law, and real estate matters, including obtaining site-planning and special permit approval for operation of its athletic facility in the Town of Salina.
• Represented individuals and businesses in disputes with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance and the IRS.
Josh is a Board of Directors Member at Sarah’s Guest House, Inc., which provides lodging for relatives and loved ones of adult patients seeking medical treatment outside their own community.
In addition, he has served as a volunteer for the Syracuse Say Yes to Education Legal Clinic and as a Family Court Advocate at the Onondaga County Courthouse for Vera House, Inc., a comprehensive domestic and sexual violence service agency.
Having been raised in North Syracuse, Josh is a lifelong resident of Central New York (“CNY”). He graduated from Cicero-North Syracuse High School, Siena College in Loudonville, NY, and Syracuse University College of Law. Josh is an avid supporter and fan of WRVO, This American Life, the Moth, and Syracuse University Sports.